2 AR Tech
Most techies are familiar with Augmented Reality technology. I know I am. I love the stuff. My first toy with this new, fantastic feature was my iPod Touch.

For the two of you that have never heard of it, Augmented Reality allows you to overlay the real world with information and images of your choice via your iPod/iPhone/Smartphone/Tablet/Chocolate Chip Cookie.

It has some great practical uses: Need to get directions for your destination? Just use your built-in camera to overlay GPS information onto the real world.

Why yes, I am a nerd, thank you.

Want some mindless fun? Amuse your friend via tiny dancing hand-bear:


Want to go out for a walk with your AR anime girlfriend? Sure you do, why the heck not?


It's a fun technology that's started to catch on a mainstream level. So much so that Google has launched a pair or AR glasses. Do I want a pair? You bet I do. So did this awesome gentleman right here, who not only has been wearing the tech for decades now, but actually INVENTED the stuff he sports himself. Also, it's attached to his skull. Kind of Borg-ish, but I'm not going to criticize (because I would totally do that too. Immediately).

 WANT.

Which brings me to the point of this article. In case you didn't click the link above, I invite you to click it right now. Do it. There are pictures.

So, why? Because apparently rocking a pair of these makes certain people lose their minds. And common sense. And manners. And a bunch of other decent-people-making features.


If you find yourself walking into a Paris McDonalds with a pair of these bad-ass puppies attached, you might find yourself on the receiving end of some colossal douchebaggery by way of the employees of the... "restaurant". That's what happened to a University of Toronto professor during what should have been a nice outing with his family, which quickly degenerated into some seriously low behavior by way of several people allegedly working there. Why did this happen? Because they had a problem with the AR glasses (the ones ATTACHED to him. As in, unable to remove with sheer pull-power without potentially causing harm).

What would you consider a safe, polite way of informing someone that you have an issue with them wearing something (not that your subjective view counts, as he was breaking no laws). Perhaps politely speak to the man? Maybe outline your concerns? If you really feel the need, very nicely ask him to finish his paid-for meal and be on his way (again, up to him, not you). Those are all very human ways to voice your opinion.

Which makes one wonder what three employees at said McDonalds were smoking that day when they decided their approach was acceptable: To basically surround this guy while he's eating with his family, physically assault him by trying to remove the glasses by force (seriously, idiot that tried to do this? Did all those burgers finally amass completely over your brain?), tear up the doctor's documentation detailing this man's right to wear them, try to hide your identity when called on your utter and total amount of BS and then physically remove him from the premises? Did I miss anything? I probably did, with this already-long list of things I would sue for.

Speaking of lawsuits, this guy is clearly a bigger person than I. Because while I would rage-vomit lawsuits all over the place, this gentleman takes the high road and simply wants his glasses (rightfully) repaired. Of course, I'm sure the McDonalds's over there is doing everything in its power to right this wrong: And by everything, I mean nothing.


Because if I somehow mistakenly stumble into a McDonalds in a fit of drunkenness one day, I don't need my terror compounded by employees assaulting me while I dive for the exit.

Facebook
Twitter
Yahoo
Reddit
Feed
Labels: , , , | edit post
2 Responses
  1. Anonymous Says:

    I welded a cannon to my wheelchair awhile ago. Then I welded myself to the wheelchair. I wrote an article about this process of hiding cannons in wheelchairs. (http://wearcam.org/anonequity.htm)

    When I rolled into McDonalds the 2nd employee I saw said: "you can't bring weapons in here". I told him "it's all welded together- nothing I can do!" He got mad and tore up my note.

    But the most important part of the story is that the first employee I saw didn't say anything about the cannon at all. So can you believe the nerve of that 2nd guy!?


  2. ErikaBest Blogger Tips Says:

    @Anon: Pfft, you and I both know they just felt threatened by your massive...street cred ;D


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...


  • About Me

    My Photo
    Erika
    "DeadDoll00"

    OCCUPATION: Super-Villain

    App-O-Plectic:

    Sporadic eviews of the best & worst in unique, unknown (free!) iPhone/iPod Touch applications

    Cat Dead, Details Later:

    My personal blog.

    View my complete profile


    ------------------


    Popular Posts

    My Free App Reviews!

    App-O-Plectic

    Buttons





    Labels

    BlogFrog

  • BzzAgent Badge


    Awards





    Follow Me!




    ---------------

    Freecycle

    ---------------

    Giveaways

    Blog Giveaways

    Blog Giveaway Directory

    ---------------

    Blogging Lot!

    ---------------

    Blog Hops

    Blog Hops Everyday
    ---------------

    Nifty Stuffage

    Photobucket

    read the printed word!

    ---------------

    Badges

    OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets How Long Could You Survive Trapped In Your Own Home?